Sarmoli, Munsyari – 3N2D
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Activity Level Leisurely
- Group Size Small Group
Splendor of Panchchuli through every window, Glistening calm water flowing in every brook.
Shankadhura, steeped in a history of being along an ancient trade and pilgrim route with a present which is uniquely rural and rich in both cultural & natural diversity, is a small village in Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand. Set amidst the majestic towering Panchachuli peaks, on the banks of Gori river and located close to the tri-junction of the international borders of India, Nepal and Tibet, the village offers a unique frontier flavor.
Rural Odyssey, along with the people of this breathtaking village in Gori valley, offers you an unforgettable experience. You will have a chance to explore the local culture by staying with them. You can share your life experience with them to help in making a positive impact in their lives and aid in earning a livelihood for a better future. Families welcome you to share your cooking skills, learn to solar bake, cook with fresh ingredients and ‘get back to the basics’ for those so inclined. One can learn to weave with wool on traditional looms, weave baskets using montane bamboo – crafts that are seasonally engaged in and are integral to the community that is highly dependent on its forests and rich natural heritage. We invite you to come and have this authentic and unique cultural experience!
Pahadi Homestays: Stay in a beautiful spacious home stay with a Kumaoni family, where they will happily invite you inside their kitchens and pamper you with lip smacking traditional food. Our rooms will be private and updated with all the basic modern amenities.
Majestic Panchachuli Peaks: Get possessed by the breathtaking snow-clad Panchachuli Peaks.
Farm Walk: Understand their organic agricultural practices. Pluck some fresh cucumbers, lemons, corns, carrots and taste them. Feel free to pack some samples to bring them home.
Organic food: We will be served fresh organic meals, during our stay in the village. Kumoani ladies pluck home-grown vegetables from their farms, for every meal.
Maati Sangathan: Women are the powerhouse of this village. At Maati, interact with the worker’s to know about the functioning of this enterprise. We can also shop handcrafted woolen fabric including Pashmina and Angora, and locally grown organic food products.
Trek: Trek through the lush green forests of Pine, Deodar and Oak trees witnessing the charming Panchachuli peaks and rich flora & fauna of Gori Valley.
- Day 1 Day 1: Reaching the village
Reach Sarmoli early evening. You will be welcomed by the hospitable Kumaoni hosts and splendid Panchchuli peaks. The flavor of ginger tea served with pakodas will take your tiredness away. To rejuvenate you, we have arranged for pahadi home stays with clean fresh linen and duvets, and attached western bathrooms with running water. All the rooms are comfortable and quiet with a view of majestic Panchchuli peaks. You will end the day with a freshly prepared organic dinner with your hosts or in private as per your wish.
- Day 2 Day 2: Exploring the Kumaoni mountain village
After breakfast, you will start your day with your guide, discussing briefly about the Gori valley and the life there. You can walk around the village understanding the region’s seasonal farming practices and interacting with the village communities. The guided tour through the village will tune you to the seasonal agricultural practices. This will give you an insight on how the locals have stuck to the methods of organic farming, despite harsh conditions, and still live a content life. Post lunch, you can visit visit Tribal Museum which is founded and managed by Mr. S. S. Pangtey. The museum is his life’s work and dedication towards preserving and protecting the local Bhotiya Tribe (a scheduled tribe that used to trade with Tibet). A half-day visit to this museum will give you a glimpse of the old Bhotiya culture which once flourished in the region. In the evening, you can consider visiting Munsiari Bazaar, Nanda Devi Mandir and Danadhar. The Bazaar is set between three villages and is a one-road Bazaar. Seek the blessings of the local goddess in the temple and get a bird’s eye view of the Gori valley from the vantage point of Danadhar.
- Day 3 Day 3: Trek
You shall spend the day leisurely with nature, walking on the stony pathway with a stream running along to the Mesar Kund (a pond nestled in an old Oak forest). Mesar Kund has a very interesting folklore associated, which will be described during the walk. On the way, just before the ancient Mesar Kund, the village community (with their bare hands and efforts) has built another pond, also known as the Mesar Kund (the new one) to keep the water stream running through the village throughout the year. With every step, view of Panchchuli will take our breath way, and it keeps getting better and better! Depending on your interest, you can continue the hike to Budgair Dhar above Mesar Kund and can walk up to the Bugyals (meadows) of Lalsingair at around 10,000 feet. if you are fit enough, you can even consider going up to Khaliya top. You can easily notice the richness of Flora and Fauna in the valley, comprising of over 326 recorded bird species, 36 mammals, and 2,200 flowering plant species. There will be a local guide accompanying you.
- Day 4 Day 4: Adieu
Today after the breakfast, you will say goodbye to the village and its wonderful people.
Group Size Cost per person
1 individual Rs. 8,900/-
2 individuals Rs. 7,100/-
3 individuals Rs. 6,500/-
4 individuals Rs. 6,300/-
HOW TO REACH?
Delhi to Haldwani –
Uttarakhand roadways (Ordinary/Volvo) bus service from Anand Vihar ISBT to Haldwani Bus Station. OR,
Train from Delhi railway station to Kathgodam/Haldwani railway station.
Haldwani/Kathgodam to Sarmoli
Shared taxis from Haldwani to Sarmoli charge Rs. 500/- per person. OR,
Private taxis from Haldwani/Kathgodam to Sarmoli. Approximate cost would be Rs. 7,000/- – Rs. 10,000/- for a 7-seater vehicle depending on the season.
Please note, we do not provide any taxi services. If needed, we can assist you in booking a cab for you.
- Please note that the rooms/ homestays listed in pictures might be different from where you get to stay. This is because the tourism project in the host village is driven by entire community and hence, every family has their turn to host the guests (on rotation basis). All home stays are equally good.
- Each family will serve two freshly cooked vegetarian meals (breakfast and dinner); along with a packed lunch so you can be free to follow your own rhythm through the day.
- Don’t forget to pack good warm clothes with you. It’ll be mostly sunny during the day if it does not rain or snow, but the weather will be cold in the evening and the night.
- Though the temperature is expected to drop to 10-15 degrees in the night, temperature inside the rooms will be pleasant.
- 21 days before trip: 70% refund
- 15-20 days before trip: 50 % refund
- 7-14 days before trip: 20% refund
If you find a replacement for yourself, then there won’t be any cancellation charges and we will refund your payment in full.
- Accommodation in simple and comfortable homestays on twin-sharing basis. If someone is in a group of 3, all the three can be accommodated in a same homestay, but this must be conveyed to us while booking.
- All meals(breakfast, lunch and dinner) in the village.
- Expenses of guides during stay in the village.
- Transportation costs to/ from the destination village.
- Any items/services which are personal in nature like toiletries, sun protection creams, chips, soft drinks, laundry, STD calls, etc.
- Any extra expenses due to delays arising from bad weather and unforeseen circumstances.
- Any medical expenses.
- Any other expenses of any nature not included in the INCLUSIONS section.