SUSTAINABLE RURAL LIFESTYLE IN SAHYADRI
- Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
- Vacation Style Holiday TypeCulture, Guided Tours, Short Breaks
- Activity Level Ultimate
- Group Size Medium Group
Let’s go back to the time where we don’t need our laptops or wifi to stay connected, where a sheer kerosene lamp is enough to prevail over the darkness around us. Let’s dive into the lives whom we have left behind in the race of life.
Travel with us to the serene environment of the Western Ghats, a village so quiet and has an unassuming dynamism. Experience a different lifestyle – like 50 years back. Indulge in a two days of well-crafted activities where you visit the manufacturing unit – a women’s co-operative society who produces naturally dyed cotton handloom garments. We will get to see the production of handloom products and dye making process by natural materials like flowers, fruits, nuts and mud. Please note, no power is used.
You will also get to try your hands on to block printing if you like. Enjoy some fun session like singing and cultural activities, followed by a relaxing stargazing at night where the night sky is unpolluted, and relish the local vegetarian firewood cooked food.
Natural Dying Process: Be amazed to know how these great souls of Charaka are dying the yarn without harming the nature. They use leaves, fruit peel, betel nut shell, mud, iron rust and what not. Mind you, they perform all the great tasks without using electricity.
Weaving & Block Printing: You’ll be moved to see the amount of hard work that goes in producing a simple piece of cloth. We will show you how they come out with beautiful environment-friendly fabric, on their traditional weaving looms.
Boat Ride: Loosen up yourself and embrace nature during this 30 km breathtaking boat ride from Gerosoppa village to the sea shore. You will be left rejuvenated.
Village Ashram Stay: Beautiful Charaka ashram will take you back to those times when electricity was not invented, forget internet. Staying in traditional mud huts equipped with comfortable khaats.
Jog falls: Spend some time in rejuvenating yourself at Jog falls, which is the second-highest plunge waterfall in India with a dropping of 829 ft.
- Day 1 Day 0:
We will assemble at Majestic bus station, Bangalore at 9.30 PM; get to know your fellow travelers before we board the bus to Sagara. The drive from Bangalore to Sagara is serene and picturesque.
- Day 2 Day 1: Exploring Charaka
We will reach Heggodu at around 6 AM. Freshen up, take showers and have breakfast before we begin our tour to Charaka manufacturing unit. We will spend the day seeing how they prepare natural dyes, color the yarn, weave fabric on traditional looms, do block printing and other aspects of producing a finished cloth from the yarn. We will have a scrumptious Kannada lunch in the workshop itself, followed by exploring beautiful Chittara paintings and interacting with kids of women who work there. Yes, Charaka centre run a small crèche for the kids of women who work there.A small well with lotus flowers and colorful frogs, plants, friendly dogs, mud painted walls, kerosene lamps, and wooden fencing at Charaka ashram will make you feel in a little paradise.After dinner, we will spend some time star gazing, listening good music and playing games.
- Day 3 Day 2: A Day With Nature
Today, we will start our day early and witness the morning prayer at the manufacturing unit. Every day, all Charaka workers assemble for the wonderful morning prayer before starting the day’s work. From there, we will drive to the famous and breathtaking Jog Falls followed by an adventurous yet calm boat ride to the seashore. We will come back after a couple of hours, have dinner and start our journey back to Bangalore. We will reach Bangalore early in the morning the next day.
- All the meals served will be vegetarian.
- The group size will be limited to a maximum of 16 people: 14 participants + 2 facilitators and a minimum of 12 people: 10 participants + 2 facilitator.
- During your stay, please don’t expect any luxury. It’s a very spacious place, but only with very basic amenities.
- 21 days before trip: 70% refund
- 15-20 days before trip: 50 % refund
- 7-14 days before trip: 20% refund
- All travel from Bangalore to Bangalore.
- Accommodation in simple and comfortable mud rooms with traditional Khaats on twin-sharing basis. If someone is in a group of 3, all the three can be accommodated in the same room, but this must be conveyed to us while booking. Couples will be accommodated in the same room.
- All meals(breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the journey.
- Expenses of guides/ activities during our stay in the village.
- Any meals not listed in Inclusions i.e. during Volvo journey from/to Bangalore.
- Any items/services which are personal in nature like toiletries, sun protection creams, chips, soft drinks, laundry, STD calls, etc.
- Any extra expenses due to delays arising from bad weather and unforeseen circumstances.
- Any medical expenses.
- Any other expenses of any nature not included in the INCLUSIONS section.